Lesotho

Currency: Lesotho Loti (LSL) is Lesotho’s currency.

Official languages: Sesotho and English

Visa: none needed

Independence: independence from Britain in 1966

Religion: The population of Lesotho is estimated to be around 90% Christians. Members of other religions (Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists and Bahá’í) and members of traditional indigenous religions comprise the remaining 10% of the population.

Souvenirs: jewellery made of seeds and clay beads, chess sets made of copper and ebony; wool and mohair rugs; tapestries and textiles; angora sweaters and shawls; rock paintings and pottery.

Best time to visit: There are many wonders to discover in this small country: waterfalls, clear lakes, lush green slopes, many festivities that mark the life of the population, nature reserves and Maseru, the capital, and its downtown with colonial architecture, with its sandstone buildings. The winding road that leads to the Sani Top, departure for many hikes and opening on a magnificent view. Lesotho experiences extreme temperatures during its summer and winter season (from-15°C to 35°C). Winter months (June-August) experiencing snowfall, while the summer (November-February) is warm and vet. The best time to visit the country is between October to November and again after the rainy period during March and April. To the end of winter, in August, the mountains are covered with alpine flowers and the valleys decked with peach and mimosa blossoms.

Area: 30,355 km2

Population: 2 millions (2009, estimate)

Density: 68,1 per square kilometer

 

MaTakaTaka Top 5 places to visit:

  1. Sani Pass
  2. Drakensberge
  3. San Rock Art
  4. Katse Dam
  5. Maletsunyane Falls